Subjects related to the English verb tenses
Here is a list of subjects that it is good to know before proceeding to reading pages about the English tenses.
- Each and every tense allows you to form questions. This can be done using inversion.
- Past tenses use the past form of the verb. Perfect tenses employ the past participle. Either form can sometimes be irregular.
- In informal writing and speech, contractions are often used.
- Each tense uses at least one auxiliary verb (some as many as four!)
- If we say what somebody else said (=relate it), the sequence of tenses is affected.
- The conjugation of the auxiliary verb "to be" is required to form the Present Continuous
- The conjugation of the auxiliary verb "to have" is required to form perfect tenses.
- What is a verb / subject?